Staying physically fit is an important priority for many consumers. But gym memberships, fitness classes, and active gear can really add up. You can use the Fit Mastercard – a new credit card designed specifically with health and fitness enthusiasts in mind.
With generous rewards on gym spending, workout subscriptions, and sporting goods stores, the Fit Mastercard aims to make staying active more affordable.
In this post, we’ll cover the features and benefits offered by the Fit Mastercard so you can decide if this niche rewards card deserves a place in your wallet.
Fit Mastercard Rewards Program
The Fit Mastercard offers bonus rewards on three major fitness-related spending categories:
- 5% back on gym memberships, fitness studios, and sports clubs
- 4% back on workout subscription apps and services like Peloton, Daily Burn, ClassPass, and more
- 3% back at sporting goods stores including Nike, REI, Athleta, Lululemon, and other retailers
All other purchases earn 1% back.
Rewards are earned in the form of “FitPoints” which can be redeemed for statement credits to erase recent fitness purchases or deposited into a linked bank account. There is no limit to the amount of FitPoints you can earn.
New cardholders also have the opportunity to earn a 15,000 point sign-up bonus after spending $2,000 on the card within the first 90 days. That’s equal to a $150 value which could cover over 2 months of a gym membership!
Additional Fit Mastercard Benefits
Beyond its generous rewards program, the Fit Mastercard aims to provide added value to cardholders with amenities like:
- Free gym guest passes – Get complimentary passes to try out new gyms across a network of over 5,000 participating fitness centers and studios. Up to 4 passes per year.
- Premium workout app memberships – Receive special member pricing for select workout subscription apps, including 20% off Peloton Digital.
- Access to presale event tickets – Cardholders get early access to presale tickets for high demand fitness events like the Spartan Race, Color Run, and more.
- Fitness purchase protection – Get coverage for stolen or accidentally damaged new fitness equipment, workout apparel, and gym gear. Up to $1,000 per year.
- Flexible payment options – Take advantage of special financing offers on large fitness purchases and pay over time interest-free.
For exercise enthusiasts, these cardholder perks can add up to significant savings on popular gym classes, workout services, activewear, and fitness events.
Fit Mastercard Fees
Given its niche audience, the Fit Mastercard does carry an annual fee, similar to other premium rewards cards. Here’s a breakdown of the costs:
- $150 annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees
- 15.99% – 22.99% variable APR – No introductory financing offer
The annual fee is relatively reasonable compared to cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve. But the lack of a 0% intro APR promotion makes this less suitable for those looking to finance a large fitness purchase over time.
For cardholders who take advantage of the 5% and 4% bonus categories, the $150 fee should be easy to offset through rewards earnings on gym and workout spending. But you’ll want to estimate your expected monthly charges to ensure the math works out in your favor.
Is the Fit Mastercard Right For You?
The Fit Mastercard is tailored specifically to consumers who:
- Have an active gym membership
- Take boutique fitness classes or utilize workout subscription services
- Regularly shop at sporting goods stores for athletic apparel, shoes, or equipment
- Purchase high-end fitness trackers, smartwatches, or accessories
- Attend fitness conferences, events, or races
Simply put, the more you spend on health and fitness each month, the more value you can get from this card. The 5% and 4% bonus categories directly align with the spending habits of exercise enthusiasts.
Contrast this to a card like the Chase Freedom Flex which offers 5% back on gym memberships one quarter per year. The Fit Mastercard provides 5% back each and every month – a difference that adds up!
But if you have an inexpensive or corporate-subsidized gym membership and little other fitness spending, a general cash back card may be better aligned.
Alternatives to the Fit Mastercard
As a niche card targeted at active consumers, the Fit Mastercard doesn’t have many direct competitors. But here are some alternatives that could make sense depending on your fitness spending habits and rewards preferences:
Citi Custom Cash Card – Get 5% back on your top eligible spending category each month, such as Spotify or Peleton. $0 annual fee.
Capital One SavorOne Rewards – 3% back on entertainment, dining, streaming services, and groceries. $0 annual fee.
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa – Choose 2 categories like gyms and sporting goods stores to earn 5% back each quarter. $0 annual fee.
Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards – 3% back on a category of your choice, including sports equipment stores or gym memberships. $0 annual fee.
Citi Premier Card – 3x points on travel, gas, restaurants, supermarkets, and more. $95 annual fee.
The right card for you depends on your overall budget and mix of spending. But for fitness buffs, the Fit Mastercard is specifically designed to maximize rewards on exercise expenditures.
How to Apply for the Fit Mastercard
Ready to earn rewards on your workouts? You can submit an application for the Fit Mastercard on their website at fitmastercard.com. It takes just a few minutes to complete the online form.
You’ll need to provide the usual card application details including:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Social Security Number
Applicants should have fair to good credit (generally a 670 score or higher) to be approved. After submitting your application, you’ll receive a decision in seconds.
If approved, your new Fit Mastercard will arrive within 5-7 business days. You can then activate it and begin earning rewards on all your fitness spending from gym fees to yoga pants.
As a niche card, the Fit Mastercard likely won’t be right for everyone. But for fitness devotees who want to earn cash back on their active lifestyles, it’s an appealing choice. Consider if the rewards categories and complimentary perks align with your own workout budget and habits.
Activating Your New Fit Mastercard
Once you’re approved for the Fit Mastercard, you’ll need to activate your card when it arrives in order to start using it. Here’s how to activate your new card:
- Wait for the card to arrive in the mail. It will usually arrive within 5-7 business days of approval.
- Locate the sticker on the front of the card with the activation code.
- Call the number on the activation sticker or on the back of the card.
- When prompted, enter the card number, expiry date, and the 4-digit activation code from the sticker.
- Follow the automated prompts to set your PIN number and activate the card.
Once the quick activation call is complete, your new Fit Mastercard will be ready to use for purchases right away. You don’t need to wait for the first statement to start earning cash back rewards!
Tips to Manage Your Account Online
After activation, you can create an online account to manage your Fit Mastercard and track rewards. Here’s how:
- Visit fitmastercard.com and click “Log In”
- Provide your card number and details to create your online account
- Register your account to a mobile number and email address
- Set your login credentials
You can now log into your account via the website or Fit Mastercard app to:
- Pay your bill
- Check your balance and available credit
- View statements and transaction history
- Redeem FitPoints for statement credits
- Manage account preferences and personal info
Be sure to login regularly to pay your bill on time and monitor your earning and redemptions. Contact customer service if you have any account-related questions.
With generous bonus rewards on gym memberships, workout apps, and sporting goods stores, the Fit Mastercard aims to provide value to consumers who prioritize health and fitness.