How to Create a New Folder on Android. It seems you want to know How to create a new folder on Android? This can be a problem at times, especially for those who are new to Android devices. If you are new or maybe you have an Android device, you want to create a new folder.
Then you are definitely welcome to this page. You are going to find all the details you need right here on this page.
How to Create a New Folder on Android
Android simply offers several features to help you keep your items organized on your phone. One of these features is simply the ability to create folders. You can also create home screen folders to group your various apps, and you can also create folders in your file manager to organize your files.
In this guide, I am going to show you how to create both types of folders on an Android device.
How to Create a Folder in Android
Creating a home screen folder only requires you to pick at least two apps and also put them together. Both these apps then get grouped into a folder.
To do this on your device,
- Access the home screen panel where the apps you wish to put into a folder are located.
- Drag the first app and then drop it on top of the other. This will create a folder with both apps inside.
- Also, tap the folder to be able to view the apps in it.
How to Rename a Folder in Android
Some Android phones simply automatically assign a name, depending on the selected apps, to the home screen folder. If you then want to give a custom name to your folder, you can do so as follows:
- Tap and also hold the folder that you want to give a new name to.
- Select Rename from the menu that appears.
- Also, type a new name for your folder, and then tap OK.
- Your folder now simply uses your new name.
- Then rename the app folder.
- Also, enter the folder name.
Not all phones can name the folder automatically. If yours doesn’t, then you will simply be prompted to type a name when you first create the folder.
How to Add an App to a Folder on Android
If you have already made a home screen folder, adding apps to it is as easy as dragging and dropping them into place. Here’s how you do that:
- Find the app that you want to add to your folder either on your home screen or in your app drawer.
- Drag the app and then drop it into your folder.
- The app will then be added to the folder.
How to Remove an App from a Folder in Android
There are simply two ways to remove an app from a folder:
- Tap the folder so that you can see all the apps in it.
- Drag the app you wish to remove from the folder and then drop it outside of the folder on your home screen. The app is now removed from the folder, but the shortcut will still be on your home screen.
Another way for you to do this is to tap and then hold on to the app you want to remove and select Remove from the menu. This simply removes the icon from your folder, but won’t place it on the home screen either.
How to Move Folders Across Home Screens in Android
Just like your apps, you can simply move your folders across your multiple home screens.
- Find the folder you wish to move on your home screen.
- Then drag the folder and then drop it onto the target home screen.
How to Delete a Folder in Android
There are a few ways to get rid of a home screen folder in Android:
- Tap on the folder that you wish to remove so you can see all the apps in it.
- Then drag each app out of the folder. The folder will also be gone once you have moved all your apps out of it.
- Another way for you to delete a folder is to tap and then hold on the folder and select Remove.
- Choose “Remove” in the prompt and then your folder will disappear.
You should know that deleting a folder does not delete the apps in it. Your apps will continue to exist on your device. You can also find them again in your app drawer, usually accessed by swiping up on the home screen.
How to Make a Folder to Manage Files
The above simply shows you how to create home screen folders. But, what if you want to then make a folder to manage your files, including music, videos, and even documents? This is where you create a file manager folder.
- Once you have already created this folder, you can then add any type of file to it. The steps below to create a file manager folder will then slightly vary depending on your Android device and which file manager you are using:
- Open the file manager app on your phone.
- Then you should navigate to the directory where you wish to make a new folder. This directory can then be on your internal storage or even on external storage like an SD card.
- Once you are in your preferred directory, you should tap the three-dots menu at the top-right corner and then select New Folder.
- Also, enter a name for your folder and then tap OK.
- Your folder is now created.
You will now be able to save or move files into your new folders, which will then make them much easier to find when you need them. You will also find your downloads in their own separate folder.