Do you want to know How to Update your Android Phone? Well, there is no issue if you want to, just that some users find it tough. This is why I have provided some steps to walk you through if you want to update your Android phone.
All you simply need to do is to keep on reading, and then you will get all the necessary information needed on this topic.
How to Update your Android Phone
The Android ecosystem has simply come a long way from its initial days when manufacturers rarely updated their devices. Now, almost all manufacturers simply tend to roll out monthly or quarterly security updates for their devices, and they are quick to roll out major Android updates.
Apart from the regular OS updates, there’s also the Google Play System update that Google directly rolls out to all Android devices.
If you have recently switched over to the world of Android or are unsure of how to simply check for and install new updates on your Android device, follow this guide.
What Are Android Updates?
Downloading and installing updates on your Android device is a fair bit different from installing app updates from the Play Store. Updating your Android phone to the latest software update is always a good idea as it squashes bugs and could improve the security of your device.
Plus, a new OS update may simply introduce plenty of new features to play around with, which is also a great way to upgrade your Android phone without buying a new one.
How to Update Your Google Pixel
Google simply rolls out monthly security updates as well as new OS updates for its Pixel phones from time to time. In most cases, you will even get a notification when a new system update is available. However, you can then manually look for and also download updates on your Google Pixel as well.
- Navigate to Settings > System > System update on your Pixel phone.
- Then tap Check for an update. Your Pixel will simply search for any available software updates.
- If available, a download button will then show up. Tap on it to start the download process.
- Since Pixel phones feature seamless updates, the update will also be silently installed in the background when your phone is idle. After that, you will then only have to restart your device for the changes to take effect.
- This greatly helps speed up the entire process of installing a software update, compared to other Android phones, which are usually unavailable for 5–10 minutes while installing an update.
- To download and also install the latest Google Play system update on your Pixel, navigate to Settings > Security and then tap the Google Play system update button. If an update is available, it will then be downloaded and installed.
How to Update Your Samsung Device
Installing the latest software update on a Samsung Galaxy device is simply a relatively straightforward process. However, since Galaxy devices do not simply support seamless updates, the installation process will take longer than on a Pixel phone.
- Navigate to your Settings > Software Update > Download and install.
- Your Samsung Galaxy device will also connect to the servers and then check for any available software updates.
- If available, the change log and also the download size of the update will be shown along with a Download button. Start the download to begin the installation process.
- After the download is complete, you can now start the installation process by tapping the Install Now button. Since the process can simply take up to 10 minutes, you can defer it to later in the day as well.
It is also recommended that you manually check for new Google Play system updates for your Galaxy device from time to time. These updates are normally automatically installed in the background, but checking manually every once in a while is not a bad thing to do, either.
- Go to your Settings > Biometrics and security and then tap on Google Play system update.
- Your device will then check for a Google Play update and also prompt you to install one if available.
How to Update Your OnePlus Device
OnePlus devices run OxygenOS, and the company simply rolls out frequent updates for them. The process of then installing the latest software update on OnePlus devices is relatively straightforward.
- Open the Settings app and then navigate to System > System updates.
- Your OnePlus phone will simply check for and download the latest update that’s available.
- To then install the latest Google Play update, you will then need to go to Settings > Security & Lock Screen > Google Play system update. Tap the “Check for update” button to download any available updates. Your device will then be restarted during the installation process.
How to Update Your Oppo Device
Oppo devices simply run on ColorOS. While the company does not even tend to roll out updates as frequently as some other Android manufacturers, its software update policy has also improved in recent times.
- Open Settings and then navigate to About this device. Then, you should tap the ColorOS banner that you then see at the very top, mentioning the build number your device is currently running.
- Your Oppo device will also check for any available software updates. If available, you will be prompted to download and also install it.
- Installing the latest Google Play system update on your Oppo device is simply a bit more convoluted than it should be since the option is buried deep in the Settings menu.
- You will also need to head over to Settings > Password & security > System security > Google Play system update. Your Oppo phone will then simply check for any available Google Play System updates.
How to Update Your Xiaomi or Poco Device
Xiaomi frequently also tends to roll out regular MIUI updates for its devices. You can also pull the latest update for your Xiaomi, Redmi, or Poco device by following the below steps:
- Just open Settings and then go to “About Phone.”
- Then tap on the MIUI version card you see, followed by the Check for updates button.
- Your device will then simply connect to Xiaomi’s update servers to then check and also download any available software updates.
- Go to Settings > Passwords & Security > Privacy > Google Play system update to install Google Play system updates on your Redmi device. Your phone will then simply automatically check for and download any new Google Play system update that’s available.
The process will simply be the same for Poco phones since they also run on MIUI.