Dealing with high-interest debt accumulating due to multiple accounts can feel extreme. Debt consolidation offers a potential solution by rolling balances into one new loan with more favorable terms.
As one of the largest banks in the Mid-Atlantic region, M&T Bank provides an attractive option for debt consolidation through their personal loans. This post covers everything you should know about using an M&T Bank Debt Consolidation loan for simplifying debt.
M&T Bank Personal Loans
M&T Bank offers unsecured personal loans that do not require collateral. Approved applicants can receive loan amounts from $1,000 up to $20,000. The interest rate on M&T personal loans ranges from 8.24% to 15.24% APR, depending on creditworthiness and other factors.
A major benefit of these loans is flexibility. Borrowers can choose loan terms from 24 to 60 months, selecting the right monthly payment amount for their budget.
The funds can be used for any purpose, including consolidating high-interest debt, financing large expenses, or covering miscellaneous costs.
These loans provide an accessible borrowing option with online applications, phone support, and the ability to apply at local M&T branches across the Mid-Atlantic.
How Does an M&T Personal Loan Helps Tackle Debt?
The primary benefit of using an M&T Bank personal loans for debt consolidation is securing a lower, fixed interest rate. This allows borrowers to save money each month compared to high-interest debts like credit cards.
Consolidating through an M&T personal loan also means simplified finances with one predictable monthly bill, instead of multiple separate payments. Having a fixed payoff schedule can provide motivation as well.
As borrowers make on-time payments each month, this responsible behavior also helps boost their credit score over time. Paying off debts through consolidation improves credit utilization and mix of accounts.
Key Factors to Consider When Choosing M&T Bank Debt Consolidation Loans
When weighing an M&T Bank debt consolidation loans, there are several important considerations:
- Total current debt amount
The total debts you aim to consolidate will determine the loan amount required. Assess all current balances and interest rates.
- Income requirements
Qualifying for the loan involves documenting stable income to reasonably afford the monthly payments.
- Credit scores
Good credit in the 660+ range is needed for the best rates. Higher scores get better terms.
- Closing costs
Ask about any origination fees for the loan. Compare costs across lenders.
- Interest savings
Project how much total interest you’ll pay in order to calculate potential savings vs current debts.
- Other lender options
Shop and compare loan terms from banks, credit unions, and online lenders.
M&T Loan Debt Consolidation Process
If you determine an M&T Bank personal loans is the right debt consolidation option, here is an overview of the process:
- Gather details on all current debts and summarize total amounts owed, interest rates, monthly payments, and other terms.
- Research M&T Bank’s current personal loan interest rates and program details. Use their online calculator to estimate payments.
- Complete the M&T loan application online or in person at a branch. This involves supplying personal information, income documentation, and authorization for a credit check.
- Wait for loan approval decision. This may take 1-2 business days. Receive loan terms if approved.
- Provide necessary information to finalize loan documents. Then complete paperwork to lock in terms and access funds.
- Once new M&T loan is funded, direct payments to immediately pay off all consolidated debts.
- Moving forward, make one monthly installment payment to M&T Bank on the due date until loan balance is paid off.
Who Is a Good Fit for Debt Consolidation?
Consumers best positioned for consolidating debt through an M&T personal loan typically have:
- Good to excellent credit in the 680+ range, which ensures qualification for the lowest rates.
- Total current unsecured debts less than $20,000, an amount manageable through a personal loan.
- Steady verifiable income that covers their living expenses as well as the new loan payment.
- An interest in simplifying finances with a single predictable payment.
- Motivation and discipline to pay off debts completely within the loan’s fixed term.
Weighing the Pros and Cons
Debt consolidation offers advantages but also some drawbacks to consider:
- Lower interest rate saves money.
- Convenience of single payment.
- Fixed payoff timeline.
- May improve credit score.
- Closing costs on new loan.
- Total interest paid could be higher.
- Need discipline to avoid running up debts again.
- Failing to pay has serious consequences.
Alternatives Beyond a Debt Consolidation Loan
Other options beyond an M&T loan for handling debt include:
- Balance transfer credit card – Transferring high-interest balances to a card with a 0% intro APR period avoids interest for 12-18 months.
- Debt management plan – A credit counseling agency can negotiate with creditors and facilitate monthly payments.
- Debt settlement – A third party negotiates to pay debts at a reduced lump sum settlement amount. Can impact credit badly if not handled properly.
- Bankruptcy – Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy eliminates or restructures debts but causes long-term damage to credit scores.
Deciding whether to pursue debt consolidation requires an honest assessment of your situation, goals, and behaviors. Compare the pros and cons and crunch the numbers on potential interest savings.
Be realistic about your ability to take on new loan payments and avoid running up balances again. Get help from a financial advisor if needed.
Consolidation can provide an effective fresh start when used strategically and with discipline. With competitive rates and flexible terms on personal loans, M&T Bank offers an option worth exploring.