Having to rebuild your credit after it is messed up can be quite challenging. You know that missed payments, high balances, and other negative factors can cause your credit score to drop, making it difficult to get approved for new credit.
But the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card aims to provide access to credit-building for those with damaged or limited credit histories. With no credit check required for approval, the OpenSky card allows you to put down a refundable deposit and begin actively using credit again.
In this post, we’ll explore the features and fees of the OpenSky Secured Card to understand who it may be suitable for and how it can help build your credit over time.
Fees Associated with the Card
The OpenSky Secured Card does carry several fees to be aware of:
- $35 for approved credit limits under $300
- $45 for approved credit limits of $300 – $3000
This annual fee is billed at account opening and on your monthly statement each year after that. This fee cannot be paid using your credit limit with the card.
Monthly Servicing Fee
- $6 per month
This is deducted from your available credit each billing period.
Foreign Transaction Fee
- 3% on all transactions made outside the U.S.
So while the OpenSky card is relatively accessible, it does come with ongoing costs you’ll need to factor in.
Who Is the OpenSky Card Good For?
The OpenSky Secured Card is designed for consumers with limited credit opportunities, including:
- Those new to credit looking to establish history
- Anyone rebuilding credit due to past mistakes or financial setbacks
- Immigrants or expats establishing U.S. credit for the first time
- Anyone unable to qualify for an unsecured card at the moment
The card provides a way to actively use credit again in a responsible way. Just make sure to budget for the fees and deposit amount required.
How to Get Approval with No Credit Check
The OpenSky Secured Card has an open approval process that does not require a credit check or report review. Approval is based on your ability to submit an initial security deposit, which functions as your credit line.
As long as you provide the minimum required deposit upfront, you can be approved for the card regardless of your credit score or history. Here are the deposit/credit limit requirements:
- Minimum $200 deposit for a $200 credit limit
- Opt for at least a $500 deposit and credit limit for the best card benefits
- Maximum deposit and credit limit of $3000
The refundable deposit you put down acts as collateral in case of non-payment. After making the initial deposit, you can begin using your OpenSky card right away with the same access and convenience as an unsecured credit card.
What to Consider Before Applying
While the OpenSky card presents an accessible credit-building option, also weigh the following factors:
- The fees can add up over time
- You need to already have funds for the refundable deposit
- There are no rewards offered with this card
- Graduation to unsecured credit is not guaranteed
For some, saving up the deposit or paying ongoing fees may not be feasible. And disciplined card usage does require commitment to see results.
But if you don’t have other ways to establish positive credit history, the OpenSky Secured Card can be a worthwhile option despite its limitations.
Steps to Apply for OpenSky Secured Credit Card
Here are the steps to get an OpenSky secured credit card:
- Apply online at www.openskycc.com. The application process is quick and easy. You will need to provide personal information like your name, address, date of birth, and Social Security number.
- Pay a refundable deposit. This deposit becomes your credit limit, usually between $200-$3,000. You don’t need a credit check or employment history.
The OpenSky secured card helps people with no credit or poor credit to start building a positive payment history.
Making on-time monthly payments and keeping your credit utilization low can help improve your credit score over time. The deposit you put down secures the line of credit.
How to Activate Your OpenSky Card
Once approved, you’ll receive your new OpenSky card in the mail. Follow these steps to activate it:
- Locate the sticker on the front of the card showing the activation code.
- Call the number listed on the back of the card or activation sticker.
- When prompted, enter your OpenSky card number, expiration date, and the 4-digit activation code.
- Follow the steps to create your PIN number and complete the activation process.
Once activated, your card will be ready for purchases. Be sure to sign the back before using at retailers. You can now start using your card to build credit responsibly.
How to Manage Your Account Online
After activation, register your card on the OpenSky website:
- Go to www.openskycc.com and click “Register”
- Enter your card number, security code, birthdate and SSN to create your online profile.
- Create your user ID and password for online login access.
You can now log in anytime to:
- Check your available credit
- Make payments
- Set up autopay
- Monitor transaction activity
- Update personal details
- Message customer support
Logging in regularly allows you to closely manage your account and credit-building progress. However, be sure to make payment on time each month.
Tips to Build Your Credit Using this Card
While getting approved for the OpenSky Secured Card is easy, you’ll need to demonstrate responsible card usage over time to build your credit. Following good habits like on-time payments and low utilization of your credit limit will help strengthen your credit profile for the future.
- Pay at least the minimum due every month by the Payment Due Date
- Try not to max out your credit limit to avoid high utilization
- Set up autopay or payment reminders to avoid missed payments
- Review statements regularly to catch any unauthorized charges
Keep in mind the OpenSky card will report your payment history and credit utilization to the major credit bureaus. However, maintaining a strong track record will contribute to credit score improvements over time.
For those with limited opportunities to establish active credit history, the OpenSky Secured Card can be a worthwhile starting point. While this is not the only path, the OpenSky card provides an accessible option to start rebuilding credit when few others exist.