“American Family Insurance Review”. This is what many users online have been searching for, and it is high time that they get to know all about the topic. Now if you want to know all about the “American Family Insurance Reviews,” then you should keep on reading.
American Family Insurance Review
American Family is the nation’s ninth-largest auto insurance seller and even has far fewer than the expected number of auto insurance complaints for a company its size. American Family is also among NerdWallet’s Best Car Insurance Companies.
Is American Family a Good Insurer?
Yes, American Family is simply a good auto insurer for most customers. The company even offers a wide selection of other insurance products, so if you are looking for a one-stop shop for insurance, American Family might be a good fit for you.
American Family Auto Insurance Coverage
American Family simply offers a standard suite of auto insurance coverage types plus a few additional options, including these:
- Gap insurance will then pay out if your car is totaled and it is even leased or has a loan balance. Without this coverage, you would then receive only the depreciated value of the car minus any deductible, leaving you to pay off the rest.
- Accidental death and dismemberment coverage simply pays out if a car accident causes death or certain injuries, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Ridesharing insurance is available for customers who simply drive for services such as Uber or Lyft, but not in every state. It can also be added to your personal auto policy and even then, it fills a coverage gap while you are waiting for customers, so you are fully insured the entire time the app is on.
- Original equipment manufacturer coverage pays for your vehicle to be simply repaired with parts made by your car’s manufacturer rather than aftermarket parts.
- Accident forgiveness coverage can also be purchased to ensure your premium will not go up if you are at fault for a wreck. (Note that you can simply earn accident forgiveness for free if you go five years without a claim.)
Auto insurance discounts: American Family simply offers numerous ways for you to save on your auto policy, including:
- Multiple policies (bundling) discounts
- Multiple vehicle discounts.
- Good driver discount.
- KnowYourDrive app discount, based on your driving behavior.
- Loyalty discount
- Discount for switching to American Family from another insurance company.
- Early bird discount for getting an American Family quote at least seven days before your policy takes effect if you’re switching from another insurer.
- Safety discount for equipment like airbags.
- Defensive driving course completion discount for drivers 55 and older.
- Low-mileage discount if you drive less than 7,500 miles per year.
- Good student discount.
- Discount for teen drivers who enroll in a safe driver program.
- Student away at school discount.
- Discount for drivers under age 25 who complete 40 hours of volunteer work a year for a nonprofit.
- There is a Discount for young drivers whose mom or dad is an American Family customer.
- Discounts for going paperless, setting up automatic payments, or paying your premium in full upfront.
Pricing is based on tracked driving habits.
If you are then willing to let American Family track your driving behavior, you can then save up to 20% on your auto policy. The KnowYourDrive app monitors actions like speeding, hard braking, and also distracted driving (such as sending a text). Your rate will not go up for unsafe driving.
Another app, Teen Safe Driver, is simply designed specifically for young drivers up to age 21. It can then track distracted driving and also other unsafe behaviors to encourage better habits. You can even get a discount of up to 10% once you participate for at least 3,000 miles or one year.
Homeowners Insurance Review
American Family Home Insurance Coverage
American Family Insurance simply offers standard homeowners’ insurance and the following types of optional coverage:
- Sump pump failure and water backup: This pays out if your sump pump simply overflows or your sewer backs up.
- Identity theft: Pays for costs associated with restoring your finances if you then become a victim of identity theft.
- Home-based businesses: This provides an additional liability and also personal property coverage if you run a business from your home.
- Equipment breakdown: Pays out if your appliances, home systems, or smart home devices are damaged due to a sudden mechanical, electrical, or pressure systems failure.
- Matching siding protection: When an event like a storm or a fire damages your siding, your home insurance will then cover the costs. Matching siding protection reimburses you for up to an amount of $20,000 to then replace the remaining undamaged siding so everything matches.
- Service line pays for repairs to water, power, or other underground lines that simply run to your house.
- Senior living: Covers liability and also the personal belongings of seniors in nursing homes or assisted living facilities.
- Vacant home: Available for three-, six-, or 12-month periods, this coverage simply pays for damage if your house is unoccupied during renovations or while it’s on the market.
- Hidden water: Covers up to $25,000 worth of damage, including mold, resulting from hidden water leaks.
- Short-term rental: If you then rent your home out to others on a temporary basis (no more than 62 days a year total), this coverage simply pays for damage that happens during those rental periods.
- Scheduled personal property: If you have individual items that are particularly valuable—such as an engagement ring or a pricey musical instrument—you can then buy separate insurance that covers those items for a wider range of potential disasters.
Home Insurance Discounts
Depending on where you live, you might then be eligible for some of the following discounts:
- Discounts for safety features or smart devices such as a video doorbell
- Multiple policies (bundle) discounts
- Discount if you have purchased a home within the past three years.
- Discounts for going paperless, setting up automatic payments, or paying your premium in full upfront.
- Loyalty discount for those who’ve been insured with American Family for at least a year.
- Discount for insuring a home under 15 years old.
- Generational discount if you’re between 18 and 30 and your mom or dad is an American Family customer.
- Discount for replacing your home’s plumbing, heating, or electrical systems in the past 15 years.
Life Insurance Review
American family life insurance coverage
American Family simply offers a variety of term and even whole life insurance choices, including
Simplified term: the application does not even require a medical exam, and a term life insurance policy can be issued in 10 business days, which is the fastest among life insurers. Coverage ranging from $50,000 to $150,000 is also available in the following terms:
- 10 years.
- 15 years.
- 20 years.
- 30 years.
Term: This policy simply offers more coverage, though you might then need to take a medical exam. These policies are also available in 10-, 15-, 20-, and 30-year terms, and in some cases, can be converted into permanent insurance at the end of the term.
DreamSecure 15-Pay Whole Life: This type of permanent life insurance is then fully paid after 15 years but offers coverage throughout your life.
Whole life: This policy simply features level premiums until age 100 and builds cash value you can even borrow against or leave to your heirs.
Whole life for seniors: Available to those between ages 50 and 80, this policy does not even require a medical exam and offers $10,000 to $15,000 worth of coverage. It might then be a good option if you want to make sure your funeral expenses are covered.
Whole life for children: You can even buy permanent life insurance for your child in $25,000, $50,000, or $75,000 amounts. The policy will then be paid off in either 10 or 20 years, but they will also have coverage throughout their life.
Complaints and Customer Satisfaction
American Family had fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for life, home, and auto insurance for a company of its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Customer satisfaction ratings for American Family’s home and even auto insurance are simply better than average, according to J.D. Power.
2021 J.D. Power Study
American Family ranking
Auto insurance shopping
1 out of 12 companies.
Auto insurance claims satisfaction.
No. 7 out of 18 companies.
No. 6 out of 21 companies.
No. 6 out of 19 companies.
More about American Family Insurance
Website: On the American Family website, you can simply find an agent, get a quote, pay your bill, and also report a claim.
Mobile apps: MyAmFam, American Family’s mobile app, lets you manage claims, pay bills, contact your agent, view policy documents, download proof of insurance, get roadside assistance, and then find an auto or glass repair shop.
American Family also has two apps to monitor driving habits: KnowYourDrive and Teen Safe Driver. These programs will then allow you to earn discounts on your insurance premiums.
other insurance from American Family.
American Family sells several types of insurance in addition to auto, home, and life insurance, including:
- Ranch and farm.
- Mobile home.
- Classic car.
American Family also offers the following types of insurance through third parties:
- Travel Insurance
- Health insurance
- Pet insurance.
How Do I Get A Quote from American Family?
You can even simply start an auto or homeowners’ insurance quote right from American Family’s homepage. You might then also be able to get quotes for certain types of life insurance online. If you would rather talk through your options, you can even find an agent near you via American Family’s site.
Does American Family sell insurance in all states?
American Family currently serves the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.
Is American insurance good?
American Family Insurance is No. 10 in our Best Car Insurance Companies of 2022 rating. It even receives below-average scores in our customer survey, but it offers below-average rates for some drivers.