Do you want to know How to Create A Drop Down List in Excel? Then you are just on the right page for this. Excel is actually a little bit of a complex tool that simply requires a better understanding of how to use excel. Not everyone is familiar with how to use excel because of the various features, unlike Microsoft Word.
Therefore, it’s not actually surprising if one does not know how to create a drop-down list in Microsoft Excel. In this article, I will show you a step-by-step guide on how you can make a drop-down list in Excel.
How to Create A Drop Down List in Excel
Meanwhile, one of the most used parts of Excel is that it actually helps to organize tasks, events, or data in an orderly manner. Many businesses and even companies use the tool to keep things organized.
The use of drop-down lists in cells also helps businesses to work more efficiently in worksheets. The feature even allows you to be able to sort items from a list that you create. You can also use the drop-down list in cells to just arrange data or items in a category you create.
To create a drop-down list in excel, you actually need to have already installed an app on your device. Now you will know how to create a drop-down list on Windows, macOS, and the Web.
How to Create a Drop-Down List in Excel on Windows
Data entry is also more convenient and even more accurate with the help of a drop-down list to set up a number of entries people can make in a call. Here is the following step:
- Now all you need to do is open your Microsoft Excel.
- Then, in the new worksheet, you should create entries that you want to show in your drop-down list.
- Next, you should just choose the cell in the worksheet to set up the drop-down list where you want it.
- Then go to the Data icon located on the Ribbon and then click Data Validation.
- Now, you should go to the Settings tab, in the Allow box, select List.
- Then click on the Source box.
- After that check the Ignore Blank box if you want to approve people to leave the cell empty.
- Also, you should click the In-cell dropdown checkbox.
- Now select the Input Message icon.
- Next, just select the Error Alert icon.
- Finally, you can then click OK, if you have completed the action of creating a drop-down list in Microsoft Excel.
How to Create a Drop-Down List in Microsoft Excel on macOS
Here is the following step:
- First of all, you simply need to create a list of valid entries for the drop-down.
- Then just type in the entries on the worksheet whether in a single column or row.
- Next, you should also select the cells you want to create privacy for which will help to restrict data entry.
- In the Data section, under Tools, just select the option Data Validation or Validate.
- Under the Settings section, in the Allow pop-up menu, you should click List.
- Then, you should go to the Source box, and in your worksheet, select your list of valid entries.
- Now click Ok.
How to Make a Drop-down List in Excel on the Web
Here is the following step:
- First of all, you have to launch the Microsoft Excel web.
- Then, in the new worksheet create an entry that you want to put in the drop-down list.
- Next, select the Cell.
- In the Data tab in the Ribbon, select Date Validation.
- On the Settings tab, click List from the Allow box section.
- Click in the Source box.
- Then, click Ok.
In addition, once you have then successfully and completely created your drop-down list, you then check it again to see that you created what you wanted. For instance, review if “change the column width and row height” shows all your entries.
Add or Remove Items From a Drop-down List
Most times you may even want to add or remove items from a drop-down list even after creating your first drop-down list. Here are the following guides below on how to add more items or delete items if you want to:
- You should navigate to the end of the list to add a new item.
- Then, you should type in the new item.
- However, if you then want to remove or delete an item, you can select the item you want to delete and then click Delete.
In addition, you can also visit the Microsoft Support centre to learn how to perform some actions like editing a drop-down list that’s based on a named range or editing a drop-down list based on a range of cells.
CHECK THIS OUT: