In this blog post, you will get to know how to securely wipe your computer, phone, or Tablet. However, it is very important to delete all of that info on your device before selling, returning, donating, or recycling.
For some of these smartphones and devices, deleting your info is pretty straightforward while some need to be in process. However, straightforward erasing of items can prevent your data from being recovered by someone you would rather not have it.
How to Securely Wipe Your Computer, Phone, or Tablet
One of the reasons you need to securely wipe your computer, phone, or tablet is to secure your privacy from being disposed of when dashing out the devices or selling them.
Without wasting much time, here are ways to securely wipe your computer, phone, and tablet without stress.
Back-Up Your Files Before Wiping out Your Information on your Devices
You will need to back up your files first because if you wipe out your device you won’t be able to access any of your files. However, make sure you double and then triple-check that you saved everything you may want on a separate device, or to the cloud.
If you have a solid-state drive, start with encryption
If you have windows, this part of the article is for you. To securely wipe your windows, here are the steps to follow:
- On your Windows 10, Open Settings> upgrade $ security.
- Look for the device’s encryption on the left sidebar
- If it is not an option on the screen, it is not available.
- If not showing up, also try searching for device encryption in the search bar.
- If the device encryption is turned off, turn it on.
- Open Settings > Privacy & Security > Device Encryption
- If the Device encryption is turned off, turn it on
- If device encryption is not an option, Bit locker may be provided in Windows 10 or 11.
- In Windows 11, the BitLocker toggle is on the above page in the setting while in Windows 10 you will have to search the box in the taskbar and type “manage Bitlocker”.
- Once you search for it, click turn on Bitlocker and follow the online instructions.
However, make sure you follow the online process carefully to avoid making mistakes.
How to Encryption Mac
- Bring out your mac and open system preferences
- Click on security & privacy
- Choose the fire Vault tab
- Then, click Turn on file Vault.
- You are prompted to use either your iCloud password, In OS X Yosemite or later.
Wipe and reset your computer Windows 10
- Open your window and go to Open Settings and click on Update & security.
- Click on the Recovery tab, then Get Started
- Select remove everything.
On Window 11
- On your window 11, locate Open Settings and select Window Update
- Select advanced options, then scroll down to recovery.
- Click on reset PC then remove everything.
However, you can follow the on-screen process and your computer will restart. It all depends on the size of your storage drive; this can take a few hours.
How to Wipe and Reset your MAC
You need to boot your computer into a special menu for mac. Here are steps to securely wipe your info from your mac.
- Put on your Computer or restart it
- Directly click and hold the command and R keys on the keyboard until the Apple logo appears.
- Once done, release the keys, then your mac will boot into a special recovery menu.
- Select the Disk Utility option from the menu
- To erase your files, click on your storage drive. You can keep the default settings for the format and the scheme.
- Click Security options. If you encrypted the storage drive, you can leave this as the default option.
- But if you’re formatting a mechanical hard drive, move it to at least the second most secure tier, “3 passes secure erase”.
However, you can turn off the computer once it is done erasing.
How to Wipe and Reset your ChromeOS
The ChromeOS reset process is straightforward, here are the steps to follow:
- Go to setting
- On the search bar, type in Powerwash
- Click on reset
- To continue, click on Powerwash.
When you run Powerwash, it automatically logs you out of your Google account.
How to Wipe and Reset your Smartphones & Tablets
The process here is much easier on mobile devices than on computers. Here are steps to follow on your smartphone.
- IOS & iPadOS
- Go to your setting and click on General
- Click on Transfer or Reset
- Click on erase all content and settings
- Then enter your passcode when prompted and then tap erase
Once the process is complete, the iPhone or iPad will restart after which you can power it off.
How to Wipe and reset your Android
Make sure your phone is back up as I have stated before. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open Settings.
- Tap System.
- Tap Reset options.
- Tap Erase all data and follow the on-screen directions.
Make sure you take your time to do it correctly before deleting it to avoid making mistakes.
Can You Wipe Your Phone Clean Of All Its Info?
Yes, just click on the Menu button and tap Settings. Scroll down and tap Privacy. Tap Factory Data Reset. Check Erase Internal Storage to erase all the data on the phone’s internal storage.
Will Wiping My Phone Get Rid Of Hackers?
The majority of malware can be removed with a factory reset of your phone. However, wipe any data stored on your devices, such as photos, notes, and contacts, so it’s important to back up this data before resetting your device.
Can Someone Recover My Data After A Factory Reset?
The short answer is yes, some data can be recovered. However, you can recover data from a factory reset.
Does Wiping A Computer Get Rid Of Everything?
What does it mean to wipe your computer? Wiping your computer refers to making all data on a hard drive unreadable. Wiping is often used to remove data stored on a computer inaccessible before disposing of the device.
How Often Should You Wipe The Computer?
As a rough guide, give your computer a clean every 3 to 6 months. Computers kept on the floor will need to be cleaned more often, as this low placement allows dust and dirt to creep in more easily.