We all must have heard that one of the major killers of man nowadays is a disease called cancer. One of the most popular types of cancer is breast cancer. It is very important to know the types of cancer and their symptoms. For this article, we will focus on The symptoms of breast cancer.
The Symptoms of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is cancer that occurs in breast cells. After skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among women in the United States. Breast cancer can occur in both men and women but is much more common in women.
Types of Breast Cancer
Although it is not too important to know the types of breast cancer, i have dropped a list below
- Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS)
- Inflammatory breast cancer
- Invasive lobular carcinoma
- Lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS)
- Male breast cancer
- Paget’s disease of the breast
- Recurrent breast cancer
Now, what are the symptoms of breast cancer?
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
It is very good to know the possible symptoms of breast cancer so that you can visit the nearest clinic if your body shows any of them. These are the possible symptoms of breast cancer.
- Breast lumps
- Irregular changes in the size and shape of the breast
- Dimpling of the skin over the breast
- Inverted nipples
- Irritation of the breast such as peeling, scaling, crusting or flaking of the pigmented area surrounding the nipples, or the breast skin.
- Redness or pitting of the skin of your breast.
If you see any of these symptoms on your breasts, then you should visit a doctor as soon as possible.
What are the Causes of Cancer
Breast cancer occurs when some breast cells begin to grow abnormally, dividing more rapidly than normal cells do, and they continue to accumulate, forming lumping tissues. These cells may spread to your lymph or to other parts of the body.
This cancer mostly begins in cells in milk-producing ducts 0f the cell. They may also begin in the glandular tissue called the lobules or some other tissues within the breast.
According to some research, hormones, lifestyle and environmental factors may be causes of breast cancer but it is not clear why some people have risk of getting breast cancer.
Also, doctors predict that at least 5 to 10 percent of breast cancers are linked to genetics. This means that generations with a history of breast cancer may keep having the same issue in the lives of their offspring.
Factors that Increase the Risk of breast
There are a number of factors that can make one have more risk of getting breast cancer. Here they are below;
- Being female
- Increase in age
- A history of breast conditions
- A personal history of breast cancer
- A family history of breast cancer
- Inherited genes
- Exposure to radiations
- Starting your period at a very young age
- Starting menopause at an age older than normal
- Having your first child at an older age
- People who have never been pregnant have a higher risk of getting breast cancer
- Drinking alcohol
- Postmenopausal hormonal therapy
These are the various factors that may increase the risk of having breast cancer.
How to Prevent Breast Cancer
To reduce the risk of breast cancer. You can make these major changes to your lifestyle
- See your doctor to doctor to discuss breast cancer screening
- Increasing your breast awareness, by using self-examination
- Reduce intake of alcohol
- Exercise most days of the week
- Limit postmenopausal therapy
- Have a healthy weight
- Eat healthily.
Finally, people who have a very high risk of breast cancer can reduce their risks with the following measures
- Preventive medications like such as selective estrogen receptor modulators and aromatase inhibitors. These medications reduce the risk of breast cancer in women with a high risk of the disease.
- Women with a high risk of breast cancer may choose to have their breast surgically removed.
If you have any symptoms of breast cancer, do not panic yet, visit your doctor for a proper check-up.